Making a simple and yummy pasta at home in 30 minutes is really a matter of gratification for us. Of course, we all love it if we can make it with the ingredients which are readily available at home. Baked feta pasta is one of such dishes which requires minimal cooking time and uncomplicated steps.
Baked Feta Pasta can be made all the yummier by adding chicken in it. Along with cherry tomatoes, pasta, basil, feta cheese and heavy cream you need to include cooked diced chicken for making Baked Feta Chicken Pasta. Using olive oil and red pepper flakes will definitely enhance the tang of the dish.
Baked Feta Pasta became trending in February 2021, when it became a part of “foodtok”. The dish was first brought into the light by a Finnish blogger named Jenni Hayrinen in 2019. There are a plethora of dishes which became viral during the corona pandemic years via TikTok, out of which baked feta pasta with chicken recipe got immense fame owing to its simplicity in making and comparatively lesser cooking time.
What is baked feta pasta?
Baked feta pasta is a pasta dish it’s effortless to make, tasty, and looks good. It comes from a Greek appetizer, baked feta.
Baked Feta Pasta with Chicken Recipe
Baked Feta Pasta with Chicken
- A large pot
- Baking dish or casserole 9*13 inch
- 16 ounces Boneless chicken breast
- 8 Garlic
- 32 ounces Cherry tomatoes
- Red pepper flakes
- ½ tbsp Ground plack pepper
- 8 ounces Pasta
- 18 ounces Feta cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Season the chicken with onion powder, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, and pepper in a bowl.
- In a baking dish, add seasoned chicken, cherry tomatoes, garlic and olive oil. Toss it with your hand.
- Place the feta cheese block in the middle and drizzle a spoon of olive oil and salt.
- Bake the mix for 30 minutes, allowing the cheese, tomatoes and chicken to become brown.
- Simultaneously, cook the pasta as per the instructions in the cover. You can add salt to the boiling water for cooking the pasta.
- Drain the cooked pasta. Store two cups of cooking water.
- Take out the chicken pieces from the baking dish and slice the bigger pieces into small dice.
- Mash the tomato and melted cheese to make the pasta sauce and mix it together with the chicken pieces.
- Add pasta to the mix. Stir it well so that the chicken and pasta get well coated with the sauce.( If the sauce seems to be too thick, loosen it by adding pasta water).
- Garnish it with basil leaves and red pepper flakes. Serve it asap
- Carbohydrates: 58g
- Protein: 46g
- Fat: 35g
- Saturated Fat: 14g
- Trans Fat: 1g
- Cholesterol: 133mg
- Sodium: 1088mg
- Potassium: 1121mg
- Fiber: 8g
- Sugar: 12g
- Vitamin C: 57mg
- Calcium: 340mg
- Iron: 3mg
TIPS to make Baked Feta Chicken Pasta better
- Use thin slices of chicken pieces: In order to ensure the evenness in the cooking of chicken pieces, avoid using chicken breasts that are thicker on one side. Flatten the piece by pounding the chicken in a zip tog bag by rolling any flat, heavy objects over it.
- Avoid overcooking the chicken: This will obviously affect the overall flavour of the dish. It is always advisable not to cook it for more than 30 minutes as it may turn overcooked after that.
- Go for short pasta: Long ones may not absorb the sauces to their full. To restore the juiciness of the dish, get short ones from the shop.
- Always get small cherry or grape tomatoes: This is mainly because the taste and texture of the small tomatoes would work better when it is broiled than bigger ones.
- Serve the dish soon after cooking: The real taste of Baked feta chicken pasta can be enjoyed to its optimal when it is served hot. It has a tendency to get cooled down faster, so start preparing the dish just 30 minutes prior to your mealtime.
- Refrigerate and reheat: If you have made the feta pasta in plenty and have leftovers, then store the remaining food in the refrigerator in an airtight container. You will have to reheat it using an oven before consuming it.
How to make baked feta chicken pasta creamy
Go for real feta cheese instead of one with a grainy texture for making your pasta creamy. Only the real feta cheese can ensure a creamy sauce when you bake feta chicken pasta. Next time when you plan to make feta pasta, get the cheese made with at least 70% of sheep milk and the remaining 30 % with goat’s milk. The best option is the authentic Greek feta in brine.
The other good option is to add the pasta water for loosening the sauce with a thick consistency. Make sure to add hot pasta water in order to provide a creamy texture to the sauce. If the pasta water is not hot, boil it once again before adding to the sauce.
Another secret for making the sauce creamier is to mash the tomato and cheese mix thoroughly after taking it out of the oven until it reaches the desired consistency.
Using heavy cream along with the feta cheese is an alternate option for enhancing the creamy texture and taste of the sauce. Adding butter along with olive oil for sautéing is also considered as a wise idea.
What else can you put in feta pasta?
Here goes the list of items which can be added along with feta pasta to give it a divine relish.
- Choose spices of differing flavours and blend it with the dish. It is absolutely an adorable combo which is going to elevate the dish to an eternal level.
- Adding a teaspoon of vanilla or cinnamon is also a great idea. But overuse of both may change the real flavour of the dish.
- Those who wish to get some more protein can opt for beans in pasta.
- Asparagus or oregano are also absolute taste enhancers for those who have a natural fondness for these two.
- Give a crunchy feel to the soft dish by adding a spoon of bread crumbs on the top of fried onions or nuts.
How does baked feta chicken pasta go viral?
The baked feta chicken recipe gained its popularity owing to three major reasons as follows:
- Less cooking time
- Ingredients are easily available
Less cooking time – Compared to many other viral dishes the total time consumed for the preparation and cooking of the dish is around 35 to 40 minutes. Moreover, it doesn’t demand any pre-arrangements for making the dish, which makes the task all the more effortless.
It is a simple and filling dish which is often considered for dinner as it can be made easily after you reach home from work.
Kid-friendly– Of course, it is an undeniable fact that children are so fond of baked feta chicken pasta. The creamy texture and yummy flavour of the dish enable it to get into the favourite list of children.
Make sure to reduce the spice level of the dish when it is prepared for children.
Ingredients are readily available – All the ingredients in the list can be found in the kitchen shelves of all the houses. If you run out of stock of any, then you can easily find it in your nearby grocery store for sure.
This is why baking feta pasta has become as easy as making an omelet for many.
Can you make feta chicken pasta in a pan?
Feta chicken pasta can also be made using a pan, with slight differences in the steps for making it. Yet, the time taken for the preparation is the same in both cases.
Instead of using an oven, a large pot is used for cooking the sauce. First, the seasoned chicken will be cooked for 12 to 13 minutes in olive oil. Then the tomatoes, along with pasta and water are added, and it is cooked covered for a while then, close the pot with a lid and continue cooking for 5 more minutes. To this the cheese is added. After cooking for another five minutes, the dish is served.
Those who do not have an oven at home can try out this recipe to enjoy the feta chicken pasta cooked in pan. (Source)
What goes well with baked feta chicken pasta?
It is necessary to choose the best side dishes that go well with baked feta chicken pasta and here are the names of some of the best options:
- Homemade bread or bun: It will be more suitable if the pasta is prepared using Mediterranean flavours.
- Potato wedges: Get some sweet potato wedges which can match the mouthwatering combo of tomatoes and feta cheese.
- Garlic bread and Salad made with balsamic vinaigrette: This combination will really satiate your craving to find out the best side dish that goes well with the feta chicken pasta.
- Roasted Broccoli with anchovy: Yet another crispy side dish which compliments better with feta chicken pasta. The bold flavour of anchovy millets and the crunchiness of the roasted broccoli ups the taste level of the entire meal.
- Garlicky Sauteed Mushrooms: The brown and deep flavoured mushrooms are an excellent accompaniment for all varieties of pasta dishes.
- Pesto Caesar Salad: When the authentic caesar salad is combined with pesto, you will get an amazing side salad for your pasta dish.
- Prosciutto: Wrapped asparagus is one of the scrumptious sides loved by all pasta lovers. Asparagus wrapped in a thin and creamy slice of meat can be a feast to both eyes and stomach.
- Cucumber salad: An amalgamation of cucumber, olive, lemon juice and yoghurt vinaigrette, this one could be the most refreshing out of all salads.
- Stuffed eggplant: Parmesan Stuff the eggplant with quinoa, kale and garlicky mushrooms to get a creative combo that can definitely make a divine pasta accompaniment.
You can find the recipe of the best side dishes now online and can choose the one which suits your food cravings.
Is feta chicken pasta good for health?
As feta chicken, pasta contains vegetables such as tomatoes and herbs like basil leaves. Which is the source of vitamins A and C and chicken, which is the source of protein, the dish offers a lot of health benefits. The dish contains relatively low carb and keto, which makes it a good option for low carb/ keto diets.
There are certain points one needs to bear in mind while preparing the pasta dish.
People with dietary concerns should be focused on a few of the things mentioned below:
- Pasta should be gluten-free. If you can get a bean-based one well and good.
- Those who are suffering from lactose intolerance are recommended not to opt for feta chicken pasta as cheese is an unavoidable ingredient in it.
- If you have an allergy to nuts, you may avoid garnishing the dish with roasted almonds and other nuts.
Having viral tik tok feta chicken pasta can be the dream of many. In the article, we have included everything you need to know before preparing the dish. Serve the feta chicken pasta and have a great mealtime.
Can you use another protein in feta pasta?
Apart from adding chicken, other sources of protein like beans or shrimp can be added in feta pasta.
Can you reheat feta chicken pasta?
The leftover pasta can be stored in the refrigerator and can be consumed after reheating. This can be refrigerated for four days.
Can you use vegetable oil in feta chicken pasta?
Olive oil is the best choice for baking feta chicken pasta. Butter can also be added to enhance the taste. Adding vegetable oil may change the flavour of the dish.